Friday 13 September 2019

Mooncake Festival Celebration At Home

Today, being the Mooncake Festival, mum and I decided to put together a dish to boost the occasion. Set off to the super market this morning after sending little pumpkin to school and bought all the ingredients for dinner tonight.

Mum was busy preparing the ingredients after I returned from supermarket and I was her kitchen assistance today. We put together two favourite dishes and I would say one of them reminded me of my childhood.

Well, mum cooked the ‘Treasure Pot’ which I named it though it is totally different from the Treasure Pot we eat during CNY. In this pot, there are mushrooms, cabbages, dried scallops, baby abalone, fish maw and fatt choi. This is one pot that I love so much and what best… you can eat it on its own or with rice.

The other dish is one of my mum’s signature dish – Yam with lean meat in Nan Yu sauce. This particular dish totally reminds me of my childhood days where my grandma used to cook. The taste is just the same and mum always said that it will be extra tasty if the yam is nice. So far, we did justice to the dish and we finished them all.
I am happy to introduce these two traditional dishes to our kids as these days, kids only know pepper lunch, paradise inn, char siew / chicken rice, BK or even McDonald’s. I found it really the best timing to introduce them my childhood dishes as to let them know what we used to eat back then.

I was surprised that little pumpkin loves the yam while Lady Faith not a keen but enjoyed the treasure pot very much. Thumps up! Nothing beats home cooked meals on a festive period.

Happy Mooncake Festival everyone!

No comments: