Wednesday 6 March 2019

Ash Wednesday


Ash Wednesday is one of the most popular and important holy days in the liturgical calendar. Ash Wednesday opens Lent, a season of fasting and prayer. Ash Wednesday takes place 46 days before Easter Sunday, and is chiefly observed by Catholics.

As Ash Wednesday mass is available only in the evening, I brought Lady Faith along as it would be good for her to know what is Ash Wednesday really like though she knows the significant. It would be the first Ash Wednesday mass we attend together and I was happy that she was behaving herself during mass and listening to what the priest was saying.

After the sermon, the priest blessed the ashes and sprinkled them with holy water and all the faithful will come forward to receive them. The priest dips his right thumb in the ashes and, making the Sign of the Cross on each person's forehead, says, "Remember, man, that thou art dust, and to dust thou shalt return".

Lady Faith was watching anxiously on the size of the crosses on others’ forehead and told me that she would want a big cross on hers. After we had our ashes on our foreheads, she turned to check out my cross and asked me about the size of her cross. I told her it was big and she gave a big smile. When mass was ended, I decided to let her check it herself and she was happy on what she had on her forehead. 
I do hope that on Ash Wednesday, it will constantly remind us how much our Lord has suffered for us to save us from the darkness of valley and it’s time to repent.

No comments: