Monday 23 December 2013

Year-End And Christmas Dinner

My super generous boss Yatomi-san kindly invited us to celebrate Christmas and at the same time, to close year 2013 in advance.

Having him giving the rights to call the shots, I am happy to book Ristorante da Valentino for our celebration. It is first time for my boss and pals while it’s a new location for me. I knew Valentino many years back through Zen’s cousin, Danny.

When we arrived at the cosy and homely restaurant, the warmed and friendly gestures from their staff truly made us felt so comfortable and welcomed. Once seated, the waiter whom we believed to be assigned as our ‘butler’ kindly informed us the special of the day and introduced some wines to our boss.

We browsed through their menu and as usual, boss being a gentlemen as he is, he gently asked us to order anything we like from the menu. After checking with everyone at the table, I bravely ordered a selection of ham with Burrata, Valentino’s selection of gourmet olives and grilled octopus tentacles sprinkled with sea salt flakes as our starters. It was simply heaven!
I particularly enjoyed the grilled octopus tentacles not because I am a great fan of octopus & cuttlefish but it was really so tasty that I couldn’t stop eating. It wasn’t salty but was really chewy…. YUMS!

As for pastas, after hearing the recommendation from the waiter, we ordered squid ink Fettuccine with crabmeat in creamy sauce and Risotto with porcini mushroom. As for mains, we had the whole fish baked with salt which was pretty delicious and their pork chops. The dishes ordered were given two thumps up!

We did not have space for desserts but since we were there, we ordered their Pistachio dessert to share which was pretty good too. While enjoying our desserts, we were also greeted by Valentino himself at our table and am surprised that he actually remembers me though we have not met for so many years.
Everyone was happy with the food and wine of course and I am sure I would want to be back with hubby the next time. I would like to thank my boss Yatomi-san for this wonderful and sumptuous dinner!

No comments: