Friday 27 April 2007

P-Plate No More!


Last year today, I was excited, nervous and worried when I stepped into UBI driving centre for my practical test.

I clearly remembered that my instructor told me to get ready my NRIC and my PDL to wait at a room. There were 9 of us. While waiting, one of the tester explained the whole procedures and students were asked to draw their test route.

While I was in the car with the tester, it was really nerve-wracking. Though we started off at the circuit which I have been practicing but somehow I was unable to focus coz’ the one sitting beside wasn’t my instructor but a TESTER. Gosh… at that moment, I really felt like shitting…..

On the roads, it was worse and the traffic wasn’t helping as it was rush hours…I was telling myself that I must not panic or at least not to show him that I was lor.. Finally, I drove back to the driving centre and followed him up to the room where he will evaluate your performance. That moment, I was telling myself that it’s either you made it or you don’t and I have to face the music somehow.

At first, he was commenting on some mistakes which I made in the circuit… guess what; he told me that I was driving too fast in the circuit (okay..I was driving on 2nd & 3rd gear). Then, he continued that I was driving too fast on the roads despite heavy traffic and he went on and on… at the end of it, he complimented that I was overall an alert, careful and steady driver. He passed me with 10 points!! I was overjoyed and I grabbed his arms and thanked him.

I called Uncle Lim (my instructor) to tell him the good news and he was overjoyed too. He told me that he expected me to pass as that was my 3rd time. When I attended the traffic rules briefing, I saw 6 of the students from my group and we congratulated one another. Though the briefing was ½ hour but it seemed forever as I can’t wait to get my driving license.

Upon collection of the license, we are to produce the test results, 1 color photograph, NRIC and a one-time payment of $50. The lady at the counter passed me an A4 sized paper as my temporary license. It looked silly but was perfectly fine…

I started driving with the orbit looking p-plate placed in the car windscreen and back. Though I passed but driving on the road without an instructor was indeed scary. It was really a blessing that my friend was very kind to lend me her car while she was on flight. I had the car for a week and the feeling of driving was really great. At first, I was panic and worried that I might scratch her car but told myself that I had to steady and be extra careful. Hubby & friends also gave advices and told me to be extra careful while I was driving.

It’s exactly 1 year and I will say ‘Goodbye’ to the orbit p-plate… am now a qualified driver and it’s a brand new chapter for driving…. Yahooooooooooooo……

No comments: