Saturday 29 August 2009

Singapore Extreme Championship 2009


I was asked to join my friend Andy and his friends to watch the Singapore X-treme game which was held at our very own Skate Park located at East Coast Park. I was excited coz’ I was waiting to meet some friends whom I have not met for more than a decade!

When we arrived at the skate park around noon, it was already pretty crowded as our PM Lee was there to grace the game early that morning. The weather was good but it was EXTREME HOT though we are watching extreme Sports! Hahahaahahah…





Anyway, I was really thrilled to see Roshan again after like 18 years! My goodness… time really flies like a rocket! He still looked the same but much better as he has more meat now… hahahaha…



For the first time Singapore Extreme Championship 2009, a two-day competition that will be held in Singapore and broadcasted via ESPN TV network. Many top athletes among the extreme sports fraternity from the region are invited to compete. Therefore, I was really excited to be there LIVE.

We gathered around the 4 meter bowl to watch the pros that did their demo. First up was Ryan Guettler (BMX, mulit-X Games medalist); he did some really cool moves like ‘free hands’, bike & him in the air and tapping his knee with one hand etc… dangerous but really stunning!





Trevor Ward (Skateboard, legendary skater) was next and though he failed at some stunts but somehow he redeemed himself with a bang.

My personal favorite would be Takeshi Yasutoko (Inline & 3 time’s world champion). At the age of 22 or 23, he is simply fantastic! He did many dangerous stunts effortlessly and man… there was a moment he actually flew higher than the golf umbrella!


By four in the afternoon, I was almost fried under the hot sun but thank God, they have tents with fans installed and free flow of 100 plus drinks! I was enjoying the BMX riders taking their heats and it was simply amazing what stunts they could do.

It was indeed an enjoyable HOT afternoon with friends and checking out these talented riders, skaters and skateboarders… Well done guys!

1 comment:

sporty tangee said...

Did you meet Alex's friends? Wow... I can't remember them, really. The name sounds familiar though. Is Alex in SG yet?