Friday 7 August 2009

Durian Feast

My Kai-Ye invited us to join him for peranakan food and followed by durian feast thereafter. It was a cooling Friday evening when we made our way to Upper Thomas Road for dinner.

Ivin’s became Kai-Ye’s favorite after tasting it for the first time at Minowa-san’s house the previous time. That’s the main reason why we are heading up to Upper Thomason for dinner; away from the cool city.

Thank God I have pre-ordered the favorite beef rendang and nonya chap chye but to our surprised, the ayam goreng was sold out! That was such a pity and I regretted not to pre-order that too. However, we ordered their honey pork, ayam buah kuluak, sambal ladyfingers and their popular Hee Peow soup. It’s totally Y-U-M-M-Y! Before we left for our durian feast, we tried their delicious dessert… Chendol! Mmmh… to me, it’s pretty nice but my poor stomach tends to reject coconut milk…
Honey Pork
Sambal Lady's Finger
Nonya Chap Chye
ayam buah kuluak
Hee Peow soup


Chendol
After a sumptuous peranakan cuisine, we dashed to Serangoon to make our durian feast a reality. It was about 20 minutes ride and you can’t imagine how excited all of us in the car! The moment we arrived at Durian 717, we were thrilled to see so many durians at the store and what’s more, they even have a small shop that sells durian desserts like durian cakes, durian pudding, durian crepes, durian puffs etc…

The D24


Kai-Ye ordered two different types of durians to share and man, they were simply GREAT!!!! I definitely preferred those which are sweet and creamy but some of them LOVED those which are extremely bitter! I recalled that one seed that I had was both sweet and bitter, it sounded strange but it was true. Initially when I first tasted, it was sweet but when I was almost at the center of the seed, it became bitter and at the end of the seed, it was EXTREME BITTER! My eyes crossed immediately!


Mao San Wang


Uncle Sam enjoying the bitter durian
Kaiye overjoyed to be surrounded by Durians!



We enjoyed ourselves very much and our winner, Susan ate about 20 seeds to be exact… I was shocked to see her tummy when she stood up! After baskets & baskets of durian, Kai-Ye got us some mangosteen to cool off the heat from having too much durians. It was indeed a fun and delicious durian feast… mmh… will wait for the next durian feast!
Susan's durian remains....
Susan still enjoying her 20th seed!!

Ultra Sweet Mangosteen

Cheers to Good FOOD & DURIANS!!

2 comments:

moo said...

I like all the food lei. It is so near where I am putting up now. Next time ask me along lei, I also want a big feast! Yummy looking lady fingers!!!!

Vee said...

hahaahah... sure.. i love the food too.