Friday 22 July 2011

Meal For The Sumo

Finally I am able to join dinner gathering organized by my kaiye and Minowa-san. In the past I wasn’t able to join as they used to organize dinner on a Thursday night where I have to serve in church but this time, I was able to join.

It was my first time visiting Sumo Restaurant Chanko Nada located at Orchard Plaza. Most of them were repeated visits. We were given a private room and it was a spacious and cozy corner that can accommodate up to 10 pax.


As usual, Minowa-san ordered all the recommended dishes and I trusted on his taste. The very first dish that arrived on the table was the sausages & fries on a hot plate. It wasn’t a rare dish but it was in a Japanese steamboat restaurant. The sausages were tasty and crunchy… YUMS!! For those of you who love sausages, you can’t compare to German sausages ok… that is better!

Next is my favorite…yes, you guessed it! Ika. It’s a BBQ squid, very springy, tasty and best with mayonnaise! Though it was shared among everyone but I had the last few… *winks* Minowa-san ordered this SUPER TASTY fish called Hokke. It was a simple grilled fish which tasted FANTASTIC! The bone can be easily taken off and the meat was so fresh and tender. It does not have any fishy smell at all and was super YUMMY!!!


The other dish was pig’s tongue. I would clarify this as a delicacy as it is really rare and it was my first time trying it. The look wasn’t too sexy but man… it tasted super delicious! It was very tender and tasted like sliced beef. Then Minowa-san surprised me with raw ika with fish roe. Initially I was a bit reserved to try it as I am not a fan of raw squid, prawns or octopus but this was one of the coolest raw dishes I have tried. It was smooth, soft and tasted quite sweet for a raw squid. Thumps Up!



Minowa-san ordered three versions of soup base here, Shio (Salted Based), Miso & Curry. We added some chicken meatballs for the steamboat apart from the normal ingredients sliced pork, mushrooms, radish, carrots, beancurd and loads of vegetables (bak choy & beansprouts).


Of the entire soup base, I like the Shoi the most as it was simply simple and tasty. The miso was slightly salty and the curry wasn’t thick enough. BUT, the curry base goes well with mochi… it was so good indeed, better than udon or ramen.



As for desserts, I ordered my all time favorite Green Tea flavor. Green tea ice-cream is always refreshing and best for finale of a fantastic meal. This is a great restaurant with super good food… and of course it comes with a GOOD price too la…

No comments: