Saturday 17 May 2008

Alpha Holy Spirit Weekend - Saturday

Last year, I attended the Alpha Course with hubby and Holy Spirit Weekend is one of the main highlights in the course. It’s a very special weekend where you will get prayed over by your host and leaders and you might feel the Holy Spirit if you believed and open your heart.

This year is a little for me as I am now a member of the music ministry in the Alpha Course. Being in the music ministry, we have 3 singers and 3 musicians. It’s very small but it’s a good number.

Holy Spirit is really special to me as I was touched by the Holy Spirit last year during the prayed over and it was my 1st time experiencing the closeness with God. The feeling is simply amazing. This time round, I felt the Holy Spirit even while I was singing.

On Saturday, the session started in the afternoon and we started off with songs & praise, followed by a talk by Nicky Gumbel. We had a short tea break and then followed by another talk and lastly with the ‘filling in of the Holy Spirit’.

Before the tea break, we were asked to pick 1 gift & 1 fruit from the basket. I picked 'Joy' as my Fruit & 'Fortitude' as my gift.

During the break time, we were jamming at the canteen since it’s our free time and sort of rest time. It was all fun when we were jamming singing other rock songs or oldies and there were a couple of people around us and they too started to sing-along with us.





When it was time for ‘Holy Spirit Filling In’, we were singing many songs and we are talking about non-stop singing as to prepare people to go forward to be prayed over. Before the whole session started, I was down with terrible flu and my throat was still sore. It was very strange that whenever I was in the hall, my sore throat & flu were gone when we started to sing. At first, I did not notice as I was trying to blend in with the song which I learnt only 10 minutes before it started.

I found out only when we had our 2nd break time before dinner… I was sneezing terribly at the canteen and even my co-singers took noticed that I wasn’t well. Then during the filling in of the Holy Spirit, my sore throat and flu were gone again. I felt really hot and I started to sweat even in the air-con hall which I felt so cold a moment ago. At that very moment, I knew that the Holy Spirit was around me and guess I was touched.

There were some people that were touched by the Holy Spirit, like my dear friend Susan who was touched perhaps a couple of times in that few short hours. It will be great for all to experience the Holy Spirit but you just have to open up your heart to receive it… will you?